GULO - L-gulono-gamma-lactone oxidase
Welcome to WikiGenes!If you are familiar with the subject of this article, you can contribute to this open access knowledge base by deleting incorrect information, restructuring or completely rewriting any text.
Ideally this entry shall become one comprehensive and continuous article. Bulleted lists, for instance, were only used because it is impossible to automatically integrate independent facts into a continuous text.
Much of the current information on this page has been automatically compiled from Pubmed.
This precompiled information serves as a substrate and matrix to embed your contributions, but it is by no means the final word - Homo sapiens can do much better!
WikiGenes is a non-profit and open access community project - Read more.
High impact information on GULO
- Enhancement of NO production by intracellular AA was further verified in aortic endothelial cells obtained from eNOS knockout mice that were cotransfected with eNOS and GULO constructs .
- GULO-dependent AA synthesis also elevated intracellular tetrahydrobiopterin content, implicating that this essential cofactor of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) might mediate the AA effect .
- To restore AA synthesis pathway, bovine aortic endothelial cells were transfected with the plasmid vector encoding L-gulono-1,4-lactone oxidase (GULO, EC 220.127.116.11), the missing enzyme converting L-gulono-1,4-lactone (GUL) to AA .
- When the cells were stimulated with calcium ionophore, A23187, NO production was more active in the GULO-expressing cells supplied with GUL, in comparison with the cells without GULO expression or without GUL supply, indicating that intracellular AA regulated NO production .
Analytical, diagnostic and therapeutic context of GULO
- Functional expression of GULO was verified by Western blotting and in vitro enzyme activity assay .
- Ascorbic acid synthesis due to L-gulono-1,4-lactone oxidase expression enhances NO production in endothelial cells. Kim, H.J., Lee, S.I., Lee, D.H., Smith, D., Jo, H., Schellhorn, H.E., Boo, Y.C. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. (2006) [Pubmed]