The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Malignant transformation of solar keratoses to squamous cell carcinoma.

1689 people aged 40 years and over were examined over a 5-year period to determine the incidence of malignant transformation of solar keratoses. They were seen on 2 consecutive years on 4267 occasions; a total of 21,905 solar keratoses were present on the first visit. A squamous cell carcinoma ( SCC) developed within 12 months on 28 of the 4267 occasions. Where accurate mapping of both SCCs and pre-existing solar keratoses was available, it was found that 10/17 (60%) SCCs arose from a lesion diagnosed clinically as a solar keratosis in the previous year and the other 7 (40%) SCCs on what had been clinically normal skin 12 months previously. The risk of malignant transformation of a solar keratosis to SCC within 1 year was less than 1/1000. The cost-effectiveness of treating all solar keratoses to prevent the development of SCC is questionable.[1]


  1. Malignant transformation of solar keratoses to squamous cell carcinoma. Marks, R., Rennie, G., Selwood, T.S. Lancet (1988) [Pubmed]
WikiGenes - Universities