The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Glycerol rhizolysis for treatment of trigeminal neuralgia.

Percutaneous retrogasserian glycerol instillation was performed under local anesthesia for treatment of trigeminal neuralgia in 162 patients. A simplified technique that did not involve cisternography was used. Initial pain relief was achieved in 146 patients (90.1%). Recurrent pain was noted in 27 patients (18.5%) and was more frequent (50%) in patients who had undergone surgical treatments prior to glycerol injection than in those who had no previous surgical treatment (12.3%). A second glycerol injection was carried out in nine patients and a third injection in two patients. The follow-up period extended from 6 to 67 months and 77.8% of patients are totally pain-free after one or more glycerol injections. Another 8.6% experienced good pain relief with the addition of small doses of pharmacological agents. Thus, 140 (86.4%) of the original 162 patients experienced satisfactory pain control following glycerol rhizolysis. Initial sensory loss on the face occurred in 117 patients (71.6%) but at last follow-up examination only 46 patients (28%) experienced mild orofacial hypalgesia and 13 patients (8%) noted analgesia. The corneal reflex was absent in three patients (1.8%) and reduced in five (3.1%). No patients noted corneal ulceration or anesthesia dolorosa. Percutaneous retrogasserian glycerol rhizolysis offers a rapid, safe, reliable, and relatively inexpensive surgical approach to treatment of trigeminal neuralgia.[1]


WikiGenes - Universities