The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

P-glycoprotein expression: critical determinant in the response to osteosarcoma chemotherapy.

BACKGROUND: Fewer than 20% of patients with bone cancer who are treated with surgery alone are cured. Even with the best current treatment, surgery combined with chemotherapy, only 60%-80% of patients with nonmetastatic bone cancer and 10% of patients with metastatic bone cancer are cured. Thus far, the reason for treatment failure in the nonresponding subset has not been identified. It has been hypothesized that P-glycoprotein, which confers multidrug resistance, might be the cause. We sought to determine whether the expression of P-glycoprotein is associated with poor treatment outcome in osteosarcoma. METHODS: In a retrospective study, we correlated P-glycoprotein expression with the outcome of conventional chemotherapy in 62 consecutive, clinically staged patients diagnosed as having osteosarcoma between 1980 and 1989. RESULTS: P-glycoprotein was overexpressed in 27 patients but not in another 34 patients, and expression was ambiguous in the sample from one patient. At a median follow-up of 8.9 years, the 34 patients whose tumors did not express P-glycoprotein had significantly better relapse-free rates than the 27 subjects whose tumors expressed the protein (87% versus 0%; P<.00001) and had improved survival rates (94% versus 35%; P<.00001). Among the 46 patients who received chemotherapy before surgery, the 23 whose tumors were negative for P-glycoprotein showed significantly better long-term outcomes (P<.00002), although differences in tumor necrosis in response to therapy were only of borderline significance (P = .057). CONCLUSIONS: P-glycoprotein expression does correlate with treatment failure in patients with osteosarcoma. This correlation raises the possibility that inhibiting the action of P-glycoprotein as part of therapy for this disease would improve outcome.[1]


  1. P-glycoprotein expression: critical determinant in the response to osteosarcoma chemotherapy. Chan, H.S., Grogan, T.M., Haddad, G., DeBoer, G., Ling, V. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. (1997) [Pubmed]
WikiGenes - Universities