The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Cloning and expression of the alpha 2C-adrenergic receptor from the OK cell line.

The alpha 2-adrenergic receptors have been divided into four pharmacological subtypes, alpha 2A, alpha 2B, alpha 2C, and alpha 2D. The OK cell line, a cell line derived from an opossum kidney, expresses the alpha 2C-adrenergic receptor and is the prototypical cell line for the alpha 2C receptor subtype. The cloned human alpha 2C-C4 and rat RG10 receptors have been shown to express alpha 2C pharmacology. Here we report the cloning and expression of the OK alpha 2C-adrenergic receptor, OKc2. The receptor has 64% deduced amino acid identity and 21% similarity to the alpha 2-C4 receptor, giving an overall similarity of 85%. The clone, expressed in Chinese hamster ovary cells, has a pharmacology that correlates very well (r = 0.97) with that of the native OK cell alpha 2C-adrenergic receptor, and it is negatively coupled to adenylyl cyclase.[1]


  1. Cloning and expression of the alpha 2C-adrenergic receptor from the OK cell line. Blaxall, H.S., Cerutis, D.R., Hass, N.A., Iversen, L.J., Bylund, D.B. Mol. Pharmacol. (1994) [Pubmed]
WikiGenes - Universities