The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

The angiographic and clinical benefits of mibefradil in the coronary slow flow phenomenon.

OBJECTIVES: The aim of the study was to assess the angiographic and clinical benefits of the calcium T-channel blocker, mibefradil, in the coronary slow flow phenomenon (CSFP). BACKGROUND: The CSFP is characterized by delayed vessel opacification on angiography (Thrombolysis In Myocardial Infarction [TIMI]-2 flow) in the absence of obstructive epicardial coronary disease and is often associated with recurrent chest pain. METHODS: A total of 10 CSFP patients (46 +/- 9 years) underwent angiography before and 30 min after 50 mg mibefradil; off-line blinded analysis of angiographic data included comparisons of epicardial vessel diameter, TIMI flow grade and TIMI frame count. We also performed a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study to examine the long-term efficacy of mibefradil 100 mg/day on the frequency of total angina, prolonged angina (i.e., persisting >20 min) episodes, and sublingual nitrate consumption, during consecutive one-month treatment periods in 20 patients (age 51 +/- 12 years) with the CSFP. RESULTS: Without changing epicardial vessel diameter or rate-pressure product, mibefradil reduced the number of vessels exhibiting TIMI-2 flow from 18 to 5; furthermore, mibefradil significantly improved the TIMI frame count only in those vessels exhibiting TIMI-2 flow (28 +/- 18%, p < 0.005). Compared with placebo, mibefradil significantly reduced total angina frequency by 56% (p < 0.001), prolonged episodes of angina by 74% (p < 0.001), and sublingual nitrate consumption by 59% (p < 0.01); furthermore, mibefradil improved physical quality of life as assessed by the Health Outcome Study Short Form-36. CONCLUSIONS: These angiographic and clinical improvements produced by mibefradil support a microspastic pathogenesis of the CSFP.[1]


  1. The angiographic and clinical benefits of mibefradil in the coronary slow flow phenomenon. Beltrame, J.F., Turner, S.P., Leslie, S.L., Solomon, P., Freedman, S.B., Horowitz, J.D. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. (2004) [Pubmed]
WikiGenes - Universities