The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Circulating thyrotropin bioactivity in sporadic central hypothyroidism.

The etiopathogenesis of sporadic central hypothyroidism (CH) involves pituitary and hypothalamic lesions. Pituitary CH (pCH) implies a diminished number of functioning thyrotropes, accounting for the quantitative impairment of TSH secretion. Hypothalamic CH ( hCH) is characterized by normal or even increased TSH concentrations and qualitative abnormalities of TSH secretion, including a decreased bioactivity of circulating TSH. However, controversy still exists about the actual occurrence of bioinactive TSH among CH patients, and no data are available in pCH. Therefore, we studied 41 CH patients with different hypothalamic-pituitary disorders. Immunoreactive TSH (TSH-I) ranged from 0.08-11.1 mU/L (normal, 0.24-4.0), free T4 (FT4) ranged from 0.6-8.8 pmol/L (normal, 9-18), and FT3 ranged from 1.2-5.4 pmol/L (normal, 4-8). A blunted TSH response to TRH (<4 mU/L), indicating prevalent pCH, was found in 56% of the patients, and a net TSH-I increment > or =4 mU/L, indicating prevalent hCH, was found in the remaining 44%. Net TSH-I increments showed significant correlation with basal FT4 (P < 0.02), indicating the relevance of pituitary TSH reserve in the pathogenesis of CH. Circulating TSH was immunoconcentrated and tested in bioassay and in ricin affinity chromatography. The ratio between biological (B) and immunological (I) activities of circulating TSH was reduced (n = 25; TSH B/I, 0.38+/-0.19) compared to the values recorded in normal subjects (n = 26; TSH B/I, 1.53+/-0.54; P < 0.001) and primary hypothyroid patients (n = 24; TSH B/I, 0.74+/-0.31; P < 0.001), but no difference between pCH (n = 9; 0.36+/-0.16) and hCH (n = 16; 0.39+/-0.20) was seen. TSH B/I values in CH patients showed a limited overlap with normal values (20%) and a highly significant correlation with the FT3 response to endogenous TRH-stimulated TSH (P < 0.005). The elevated sialylation degree of TSH molecules may explain part of these findings. In conclusion, the secretion of TSH molecules with reduced bioactivity is a common alteration in the patients with hypothalamic-pituitary lesions, contributing along with the impairment of pituitary TSH reserve to the pathogenesis of CH.[1]


  1. Circulating thyrotropin bioactivity in sporadic central hypothyroidism. Persani, L., Ferretti, E., Borgato, S., Faglia, G., Beck-Peccoz, P. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. (2000) [Pubmed]
WikiGenes - Universities