The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Analysis of damage tolerance pathways in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a requirement for Rev3 DNA polymerase in translesion synthesis.

The replication of double-stranded plasmids containing a single N-2-acetylaminofluorene (AAF) adduct located in a short, heteroduplex sequence was analyzed in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The strains used were proficient or deficient for the activity of DNA polymerase zeta (REV3 and rev3delta, respectively) in a mismatch and nucleotide excision repair-defective background (msh2delta rad10delta). The plasmid design enabled the determination of the frequency with which translesion synthesis (TLS) and mechanisms avoiding the adduct by using the undamaged, complementary strand (damage avoidance mechanisms) are invoked to complete replication. To this end, a hybridization technique was implemented to probe plasmid DNA isolated from individual yeast transformants by using short, 32P-end-labeled oligonucleotides specific to each strand of the heteroduplex. In both the REV3 and rev3delta strains, the two strands of an unmodified heteroduplex plasmid were replicated in approximately 80% of the transformants, with the remaining 20% having possibly undergone prereplicative MSH2-independent mismatch repair. However, in the presence of the AAF adduct, TLS occurred in only 8% of the REV3 transformants, among which 97% was mostly error free and only 3% resulted in a mutation. All TLS observed in the REV3 strain was abolished in the rev3delta mutant, providing for the first time in vivo biochemical evidence of a requirement for the Rev3 protein in TLS.[1]


WikiGenes - Universities