The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Pyrimethamine-sulfadoxine treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Lao PDR.

A 28-day in vivo treatment trial to evaluate the efficacy of pyrimethamine/sulfadoxine (Fansidar, PS) was conducted in 21 Lao patients with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Sixteen patients (76%) were completely cured with PS without any reappearance of asexual stage parasitemia during the follow-up examination. On the other hand, 5 patients (24%) failed to respond to this trial medication, resulting in recrudescence of asexual stage P. falciparum malaria. PS resistance resulted in higher prevalence of post-treatment gametocytemia, 25% gametocyte carriers among PS sensitive cases versus 75% of the resistant cases. These findings suggest that although the level of PS resistance is still valid for treatment of malaria in the study area of Lao PDR, post-treatment induction of gametocytemia among resistant cases may result an increase in transmission rate of PS resistant falciparum malaria.[1]


  1. Pyrimethamine-sulfadoxine treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Lao PDR. Mannoor, M.K., Vanisaveth, V., Keokhamphavanh, B., Toma, H., Watanabe, H., Kobayashi, J., Hatabu, T., Taguchi, N., Hongvangthong, B., Phetsouvanh, R., Phompida, S., Kano, S., Sato, Y. Southeast Asian J. Trop. Med. Public Health (2005) [Pubmed]
WikiGenes - Universities