The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Analytical performance and diagnostic accuracy of immunometric assays for the measurement of circulating oxidized LDL.

BACKGROUND: Oxidized LDL (ox-LDL) plays an important role in the pathogenesis of coronary heart disease (CHD). Several tests for circulating ox-LDL have been published. We believe it is critical to carefully evaluate these assays because small differences in performance may have profound effects when results are compared; we therefore compared the analytical and clinical performances of 2 assays: one developed in our laboratory and a commercial assay (Mercodia) that uses the same monoclonal antibody (4E6). METHODS: We determined the variance of ox-LDL in both tests, including its longitudinal stability (n = 225; 3 time points per person) and its diagnostic accuracy, by ROC analysis of 95 consecutive CHD patients and 20 controls. RESULTS: The between-person variability was 77% for the in-house assay (with the remaining 23% being within-person and analytical variance) and 74% for the commercial assay. For comparison, previously reported values were 66% for high-sensitivity C-reactive protein and 82% for total cholesterol. The areas under the curves for CHD in the 2 assays were identical (0.85). The odds ratios (logistic regression) for CHD among persons with high ox-LDL (>or=15 mg/L) compared with persons with low ox-LDL were not different: 4.3 (95% confidence interval, 1.4-12) for the in-house assay and 3.3 (1.1-10) for the commercial assay. CONCLUSIONS: The longitudinal stability of ox-LDL, as assessed by multiple measures in people over time, is similar to that of total cholesterol and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein. Both assays tested similarly distinguish between healthy controls and CHD patients.[1]


  1. Analytical performance and diagnostic accuracy of immunometric assays for the measurement of circulating oxidized LDL. Holvoet, P., Macy, E., Landeloos, M., Jones, D., Nancy, J.S., Van de Werf, F., Tracy, R.P. Clin. Chem. (2006) [Pubmed]
WikiGenes - Universities