The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Cerebral amyloid angiopathy: major contributor or decorative response to Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis.

Amyloid deposition within cerebral vessels, or cerebral amyloid angiopathy (CAA), is common in advanced age and even more common in Alzheimer's disease. CAA may be complicated by lobar intracerebral hemorrhage, while rare kindreds of autosomal dominant CAA also show propensity for intracerebral hemorrhage, due to germline mutations in specific amyloidogenic precursor proteins and apparent compromise of structural integrity of the blood vessel wall due to marked amyloid deposition. The relationship between cerebral amyloid angiopathy and cognitive dysfunction, however, is less clear. While cognitive dysfunction in familial CAA is likely related to prodigious amyloid deposits and vascular luminal compromise (e.g., hereditary cerebral hemorrhage with angiopathy-Dutch type (HCHWA-D)), cerebral amyloid angiopathy with intracerebral hemorrhage often presents sporadically in cognitively intact elderly patients. Moreover, while about 80% of subjects with Alzheimer's disease have demonstrable amyloid beta within blood vessel walls at autopsy, the vast majority of these fail to suffer clinically relevant intracerebral hemorrhage during life. The remaining 20% manage to progress and die of their disease with virtual no amyloid within blood vessels. Thus, the role of amyloid beta deposits in cerebral vessels as regards cognitive function on the one hand, and tendency for hemorrhage on the other, remain to be resolved for sporadic late onset Alzheimer's disease and CAA. Recent studies on transgenic APP23 mice suggest a relationship between passive immunization and amyloid angiopathy-associated cerebral hemorrhage, although the mechanism of hemorrhage was unclear from the data presented. We suggest that amyloid accumulation represents a response to chronic stress, and that the neurodegenerative process occurs at the neuronal level, encompassing oxidative stress and aberrant cell cycle activation. As such, CAA represents tissue homeostasis, such that an abrupt perturbation of this balance (e.g., amyloid beta immunization) is deleterious.[1]


  1. Cerebral amyloid angiopathy: major contributor or decorative response to Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis. Castellani, R.J., Smith, M.A., Perry, G., Friedland, R.P. Neurobiol. Aging (2004) [Pubmed]
WikiGenes - Universities