The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Use of alanosine as a methylthioadenosine phosphorylase-selective therapy for T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia in vitro.

Methylthioadenosine phosphorylase (MTAP) is an important enzyme for the salvage of adenine and methionine and is deficient in a variety of cancers including T-cell acute lymphocytic leukemia (T-ALL). Previously, we reported that the MTAP gene was deleted in over 30% of T-ALL patients at both diagnosis and relapse. We now report that MTAP-primary T-ALL cells are more sensitive to the toxicity of L-alanosine, an inhibitor of de novo AMP synthesis, than are MTAP+ primary T-ALL cells. As measured by [3H]thymidine incorporation, DNA synthesis in all seven MTAP-primary T-ALL cells was inhibited by L-alanosine with a mean IC50 of 4.8+/-5.3 ILM (range, 0.3-11.3 microM). On the other hand, the IC50 for 60% (12 of 20) of MTAP+ primary T-ALL was 19+/-18 microM (range, 1.7-67 microM; P = 0.02), whereas the remaining 40% (8 of 20) had an IC50 of >80 microM4. Furthermore, normal lymphocytes and MTAP+ primary T-ALL cells were rescued from L-alanosine toxicity by the MTAP substrate 5'-deoxyadenosine, but MTAP-T-ALL cells were not. These results indicate that normal cells, which are intrinsically MTAP+, would be protected from L.-alanosine toxicity, whereas MTAP-tumor cells would be killed. Thus, our results support the use of L-alanosine alone or in combination with a salvage agent as a MTAP-selective therapy and therefore lay the foundation for the initiation of clinical trials for the treatment of T-ALL and other MTAP-deficient malignancies with L-alanosine.[1]


  1. Use of alanosine as a methylthioadenosine phosphorylase-selective therapy for T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia in vitro. Batova, A., Diccianni, M.B., Omura-Minamisawa, M., Yu, J., Carrera, C.J., Bridgeman, L.J., Kung, F.H., Pullen, J., Amylon, M.D., Yu, A.L. Cancer Res. (1999) [Pubmed]
WikiGenes - Universities