The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Genetic variation in the progesterone receptor gene and ovarian cancer risk.

Evidence suggests a role for progesterone in ovarian cancer development. Progesterone exerts its effect on target cells by interacting with its receptor. Thus, genetic variations that may cause alterations in the biologic functions of the progesterone receptor can potentially contribute to individual susceptibility to ovarian cancer. Using a population-based, case-control study, the authors genotyped four polymorphisms in the progesterone receptor gene (+44C/T, +331G/A, G393G, V660L) and inferred haplotypes in 987 ovarian cancer cases and 1,034 controls living in New Hampshire and eastern Massachusetts (May 1992-November 2002). Odds ratios and 95% confidence intervals were calculated to evaluate associations with ovarian cancer. No associations were observed between the +44C/T, +331G/A, and G393G polymorphisms and ovarian cancer. However, an inverse association was observed between the V660L variant and ovarian cancer (odds ratio = 0.70, 95% confidence interval: 0.57, 0.85). Associations remained after adjustment for potential confounders. Five haplotypes occurred with greater than 5% frequency, and the haplotype carrying the V660L variant had a significant association with ovarian cancer (odds ratio = 0.76, 95% confidence interval: 0.62, 0.92). Associations were similar after stratifying by ovarian cancer histologies and risk factors.[1]


  1. Genetic variation in the progesterone receptor gene and ovarian cancer risk. Terry, K.L., De Vivo, I., Titus-Ernstoff, L., Sluss, P.M., Cramer, D.W. Am. J. Epidemiol. (2005) [Pubmed]
WikiGenes - Universities