The world's first wiki where authorship really matters (Nature Genetics, 2008). Due credit and reputation for authors. Imagine a global collaborative knowledge base for original thoughts. Search thousands of articles and collaborate with scientists around the globe.

wikigene or wiki gene protein drug chemical gene disease author authorship tracking collaborative publishing evolutionary knowledge reputation system wiki2.0 global collaboration genes proteins drugs chemicals diseases compound
Hoffmann, R. A wiki for the life sciences where authorship matters. Nature Genetics (2008)

Nested polymerase chain reaction study of 53 cases with Turner's syndrome: is cytogenetically undetected Y mosaicism common?

Turner's syndrome patients with Y mosaicism face a high risk of developing gonadoblastoma. Cytogenetic analysis can fail to detect rare cells bearing a normal or structurally abnormal Y chromosome (low level Y mosaicism). We screened 53 individuals with Turner's syndrome for presence of sex-determining region Y ( SRY), the testis-specific protein, Y encoded, gene, and the Y centromeric DYZ3 repeat using nested polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Thirty girls (57%) had the 45,X karyotype, determined through standard analysis of blood lymphocytes. The remaining 23 girls (43%) were mosaics and/or had structural abnormalities in 1 X-chromosome. Genomic DNA from blood leukocytes was amplified using 2 rounds of PCR. This method was sensitive enough to detect 0.0001% male DNA on a female background. None of 53 Turner's syndrome cases was positive for Y-specific loci after the first round of PCR. After the second round, 2 of 53 Turner's syndrome cases were positive for SRY mapping to the distal short arm of chromosome Y. In 1 SRY-positive subject, the karyotype was 45,X, and in the other, it was 46,Xi(Xq). None of 53 Turner's syndrome individuals, including the 2 SRY-positive subjects, were positive for the testis-specific protein, Y encoded, gene on the proximal short arm of chromosome Y or the centromeric DYZ3 repeat. These data exclude low level Y mosaicism in almost all Turner's syndrome cases tested.[1]


WikiGenes - Universities